We all know the tedious work week can take a toll on us, mentally and physically. We are constantly in a rush to get to work, get to meetings, or just to get home at the end of a long day. As the old saying goes, time is of the essence and therefore, we must learn to be excellent time managers and get things done efficiently. Here are 5 quick and easy tips from the time experts at Mondaine to help manage your time more effectively and efficiently.
1. Know your goals: Before you start your day, set some time aside to plan out a checklist of things you must do. Goals are accomplished best when broken up into sections, so have a checklist that you wish to accomplish by noon, then by the afternoon, and lastly by the evening. That way, you can prioritize more efficiently and you will avoid the feeling of being overwhelmed and disorganized!
2. Prioritizing: Now that you've created a checklist of things you'd like to get done throughout the day, it's time to order your checklist from high to low priority items. It's essential that you complete the high priority items first, as they will probably require the most time and attention. This tip allows you to focus on shifting your energy towards high priority items first, and then finishing your checklist by accomplishing the less urgent tasks last.
3. Learn to say "NO": We all have things we need to get done in our day, and we all want to complete our goals in the best way possible. Basically, we all want to be time management rockstars. But to become a rockstar at anything requires time and practice, so we must learn to master one of the top time management tips, which is learning to say "no". Learning to say "no" allows you to put your top priorities first and getting urgent tasks finished on time. When we start to say "yes" to every little request, we can easily find ourselves swimming in stress, anxiety, and helplessness.
4. Sleep: Yes, I know. We all hear time and time again just how important sleep is to our overall health and well-being. A proper amount of sleep (preferably 7-8 hours) gives us the strength and capability to get things done quickly and efficiently. We think and act faster, do more with our time, and feel consistent motivation throughout our day. Although our work life is important, our health should always take first place. So consider your sleep an essential task you must complete each and every day. Always remember, a rested brain is a healthy brain!
5. Get an early start: When it comes to time management, one of the things I find to be the most effective is waking up early. Although it is a difficult habit to begin, once you start it can become one of the best things you do for your day. It gives you a head start on your time, and you don't feel like you have to work on time crunch all day. With that additional time on your hands, you even have an extra second to grab that delicious latte on your way to work!